Mrs. Oden, checking in! For the past couple years, I made this creamy cajun chicken pasta on Christmas Eve because it's a tasty dish that's easy to make and can feed a group. This pasta is simple to make and cooked all in ONE POT (so yes people, only one pot to clean ... WIN!).
That cajun spice has us all going back for seconds ... sometimes thirds ... I know, I know, but it's the holidays!
I usually will throw together a salad as a side dish and also make an easy homemade garlic bread with oil/butter, the basic blend and mozzarella/parmesan cheese. The leftover oil/butter mix for the bread is what I used when I put the seasoned chicken on the pan! I love when recipes crossover like this.
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp Oden's Kitchen Basic Blend
1 lb chicken breast
2 tbsp Oden's Kitchen All Purpose
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 yellow onion
1/2 lb penne pasta uncooked
1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
3 oz. cream cheese
3 green onions, sliced
1. In a small bowl, combine all purpose seasoning and 2 tsp cayenne. Cut the chicken into small cubes and pour the seasoning over the top. Mix the chicken and spices until it is spread evenly.
2. If you're making garlic bread as well using melted butter, olive oil and basic blend, add the remaining oil/butter mixture to a pan to cook the chicken in. You can also just add 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter and add the seasoned chicken to the skillet. Cook for a couple minutes on each side.
3. Add the diced yellow onions to the skillet and cook for a couple minutes until the onion starts to get soft.
4. Add the pasta shells, fire roasted diced tomatoes and chicken broth and let the liquid start to boil.
5. Once boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer. Cook the pasta through, likely for about ten minutes. Stir occasionally every couple of minutes.
6. Add small amounts of cream cheese to the skillet, stirring it into the sauce. Once the sauce has thickened, top with some sliced green onions and dinner is ready to serve! *chef's kiss*
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes