Forget the turkey ... my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the side dishes! I pride myself in my green bean casserole recipe and am excited now to share it with you. So, let's get to it!
1. Grab a medium-sized bowl with a lid add sliced shallots, flour and Oden's Kitchen all purpose seasoning. Place the lid on tight and shake the bowl a few times to evenly coat the shallots with the flour mixture.
2. Pour canola oil into a sauce pan until it has about 1 inch of depth. Place over medium heat. Fry shallots in batches until golden brown and slightly crispy. Keep in mind they will also bake a bit in the oven so don't let them get too dark. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with Oden's Kitchen Basic Blend.
Green Beans, bacon and gravy
1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Boil a large pot of salted water and add the green beans. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then drain and pour into a large bowl of ice water so the green beans don't cook any longer. Drain again and set aside.
3. Cook the bacon and chop into crumbles. If you cook the bacon on a skillet, save 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
4. Melt the bacon and butter in the skillet and once the butter is melted add the mushrooms. Stir until the mushrooms become softened and then add garlic and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Slide everything in the skillet over to one side to make space to make the gravy. Add 4 tbsp. of butter to the open side of the skillet and when melted, sprinkle the flour over the butter, whisking and stirring. Let it cook a minute until slightly browned and fragrant.
Slowly add in the chicken stock, still stirring and then whisk in the half and half. At this time it is okay to mix all ingredients together in the pan. Turn the stove to medium-high and cook about 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
At this point it is time to remove the skillet from the heat and add tamari and Worcestershire sauce. Then sprinkle parmesan, rosemary and thyme over the top of the casserole and stir it into the mixture. You can also add about 1/4 teaspoon of Oden's Kitchen Basic Blend at this time.
Fold in the blanched green beans and transfer everything from the skillet to a baking dish. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add fried shallots and chopped bacon to the top of the casserole and back for another 5-10 minutes.
Homemade fried shallots:
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp Oden's Kitchen All Purpose
4 large shallots, peeled and sliced into rings
Frying oil, I used Canola
Green beans, bacon and gravy
2-2.5 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
8 oz bacon
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
16 oz. sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. low sodium chicken stock
2 c. half-and-half
2 tbsp. tamari
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2/3 c. parmesan cheese
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Oden's Kitchen Basic Blend to taste
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 45 - 60 minutes