Tangy elegance from the South. Alabama White Sauce is a unique and flavorful condiment that hails from the southern United States, specifically Alabama. Known for its tangy and creamy profile, this sauce is a delicious departure from the more common red barbecue sauces. Its versatility makes it a favorite for marinating, basting, and serving alongside a variety of grilled or smoked meats.
1. Combine Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, prepared horseradish, dijon mustard, Basic Blend, sugar, All-purpose, and cayenne pepper.
2. Adjust Consistency: If you prefer a thinner sauce, you can add a little more apple cider vinegar until you reach the desired consistency. Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken slightly as it chills.
3. Chill and Let Flavors Develop: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the Alabama White Sauce for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible. Allowing the sauce to chill allows the flavors to meld together and enhances its overall taste.
4. Serve with Grilled or Smoked Meats: Alabama White Sauce is traditionally served with smoked or grilled poultry, such as chicken or turkey. It also pairs well with other meats like pork and even fish. Brush the sauce onto the meat during the last few minutes of grilling or smoking, or serve it on the side as a dipping sauce.
5. Store: The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. If the sauce thickens after refrigeration, you can thin it out with a bit of apple cider vinegar.
Experiment with the spice levels to suit your taste preferences. Add more or less cayenne pepper to achieve the desired heat.
Use this sauce as a marinade by applying it to the meat a few hours before cooking.
For an extra smoky flavor, consider using smoked mayonnaise or adding a touch of liquid smoke to the sauce.
Alabama White Sauce adds a zesty and creamy kick to your barbecue experience, making it a must-try for fans of southern cuisine.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Basic Blend
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon All-purpose
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper