Game day smoked queso is the perfect appetizer to elevate your football watching experience. This rich and smoky dip combines the creamy goodness of melted cheese with the bold flavors of smoke and peppers as mild or spicy as you choose. Here's a step-by-step guide to creating this mouthwatering treat:
Smoker or grill
Cast iron skillet or a disposable aluminum pan
1. Prepare the Smoker: Preheat your smoker or grill to 225°F (107°C). Use hardwood chips, chunks or pellets for smoking; hickory or mesquite wood works well for a robust smoky flavor.
2. Prepare the Cheese: While the smoker heats up, cut the cheese into small cubes or grate it if you prefer a smoother texture.
3. Brown the Sausage: Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and brown 1lb of mild Italian sausage (or spicy if you want a kick).
4. Add the Veggies: In a cast iron skillet or a disposable aluminum pan, add the diced onions, tomato and green chilis.
5. Combine Ingredients: Add the browned sausage, veggies and cheese into your skillet or aluminum pan.
6. Mix in the Flavor: Sprinkle Oden's Kitchen All-Purpose, or your favorite blend, over the mixed ingredients.
7. Smoke It: Place the pan on the preheated smoker or grill and close the lid. Let it smoke for about 60-90 minutes to infuse that delicious smoky flavor into the queso. Check every 15-20 minutes and stir. Keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking.
8. Serve: Once the smoked queso is hot and bubbling, remove it from the smoker. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on top for a burst of freshness.
9. Enjoy: Serve the smoked queso immediately with tortilla chips or sliced baguette for dipping. Be prepared for it to disappear quickly among your friends and family!
This creamy, smoky, and mild-to-spicy queso dip is sure to be a touchdown at your game day gathering. It's a fantastic way to kick off the football season with a burst of flavor that will have everyone cheering for more!
RECIPE / INGREDIENTS
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 60-90 Minutes
Rest Time: Serve Hot
1 pound of mild or spicy Italian sausage
32 oz cubed Velveeta cheese
8 oz pepper jack cheese
8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1/2 diced sweet onion
1 large chopped tomato
4 oz can diced green chilis
1-2 tbsp Oden's Kitchen All-Purpose Seasoning